Just call me the painting queen!

I have been a very busy bee! On top of my usual crafting and sewing I have enrolled onto an upholstery course. I completed my first class on Thursday and am looking forward to my next one this coming Thursday where I am sure to learn plenty of new skills.

In preparation I trawled the internet, second hand shops and carboot sales and I eventually found my very first project…a battered and creaky wooden chair.

Before

Seat Before - This fabric annoys me because whoever covered it before put the fabric on so it points towards the left.

The picture makes it look shiny and quite nice but this is due to the flash on my camera. Unfortunately, it’s quite dull, scratched and in some places chipped. I started with the intention of sanding it right down and re-varnishing it. However, once I started stripping it down I soon found that there was about a million and one layers of varnish sitting on it (only a slight exaggeration :-p). I did consider getting it professionally stripped but as it is my first practice project I decided that it would be far too expensive so have painted it instead.

After being painted

My next class is on Thursday where I will hopefully be learning how to use the tools and starting to re-upholster the chair.

I have an idea of how I want the finished chair to look. I intend to combine my patchwork skills with the soon to be learnt upholstery skills to create something like the following.

Inspiration1

Inspiration2

Inspiration3

I’d love one of the big armchairs, however, I am realistic that it is probably too soon to attempt something so big :-p I would like the seat of my chair to be patch-worked though.

Advertisements

Fantabulous Friday!!!

Set of 4 glass coasters

It’s nearly the weekend and I have now finally had my coasters back and they look great. They have been fired at such a high tempreature that they are flat and make the perfect coasters.

Testing my coaster!

They are even better than I expected. You can’t tell that some of the sides were not quite straight because of the glass melting.

I am one step closer to my ‘homemade home’, where everything has been made by me! Well that’s the dream anyway. It means I have a lot of crafts to learn.

Yesterday I collected my glass coasters and also had another workshop to make a free standing curved structure similar to the one below. It will be able to stand up and I will put a little behind it to turn it into a little light.

It will be like this but with my design on it instead.

It will have my design on it, which is a two butterflies flying in the sky.

Before the firing!

It will be fired flat to begin with to prevent the glass from slipping and then will be fired again to shape it into the curve. It won’t be fired at such a high temperature because I don’t want to lose the texture of the shards of glass in the sky. I will be able to collect it on Monday and I can’t wait!

This week I don’t have tons to show for the amount of sewing I’ve been doing. But I have finally finished all 20 blocks for my double quilt. They just need squaring up and the sashing adding and then I can think about adding the wadding and backing. I look forward to seeing it finished.

I have managed to make a little make up bag that I found the tutorial for through The Fledgling Seamstress Blog . The tutorial is from Three Bears. It was a pretty easy tutorial to follow and it made a good introduction project for my sewing machine as well. I thought that once filled with some nice cosmetics and decorated with some cool yoyos (another thing I have learnt how to make this week), buttons and ribbon they would make some pretty funky  presents.

This weeks aims are to:

  • square up and add sashing to my sample quilt blocks,
  • make some kind of bag from one of my many magazines and books I have collected and am yet to use,
  • (I know it’s early to be thinking about it but I want to be on top of things) try to make merry christmas bunting.